Thursday, August 14, 2008

In the Beginning...



Yeah, you could say I’ve played World of Warcraft.

In May of this year, I decided to take an extended break from this game. It was turning into something I really wasn’t enjoying much any more. As you can probably tell from that picture, this had more to do with me and my voracious gaming appetite and not really an indictment against the game itself.

I thought I’d found my next MMO to play in Age of Conan. Trying out the Open Beta and then playing it in Retail for a while, it seemed like a MMO that could hold my long-term interest like WoW had. It had enough similarities with my previous game as well as enough edgy differences to set itself apart. But then, bugs and lack of content put a damper on my play. I found myself logging in less and less waiting for the promised bug fixes and additional content.

I don’t know where I got the idea, probably from the Steam icon on my desktop, but I decided to give Eve Online a trial run.

You have to understand; I’ve been gaming for quite a long time and am old enough to have played and overplayed Elite on my Commodore 64. I still can hear the docking song playing in my mind as if it was just yesterday (Blue Danube Waltz by Strauss). So a MMORPG that was said to have been directly inspired by Elite by its creators sure sounded right up my alley.

I was lucky enough to have found a character creation video on YouTube which claimed to give you the best options for a starting character. Otherwise, I confess I would’ve ended up deleting the character and starting over again once I learned enough about the game to make the correct decisions. The fabled steep learning curve began right at the door and, unlike other games, the decisions you made at the onset could come back to bite you if you made the wrong ones.

Doing the tutorials, I had a strong déjà vu feeling. Either this game was really just like Elite or I had trialed it before and had forgotten all about it. Probably the latter and it could explain why my WoW Paladin’s name was already taken when I tried to use it for Eve.

So this blog will chronicle my journey from Eve Online noobdom, among other things. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do reading all the other Eve blogs out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment