Monday, September 29, 2008

You Can't Always Get What You Want

I really wanted Age of Conan to be the MMORPG to suck me into Robert E. Howard's pulp fiction world and let me happily spend the next few years in it. I downloaded all the dev videos and was stoked about the plans they had for PVE raiding and PVP mass sieges involving war engines and keeps. Meanwhile, I blithely dismissed news of Warhammer Online as that WoW lookalike that would likely be released sometime in the next decade. I had played WoW already; I didn't want to play it any more. I wanted grit and, yes, I wanted boobies.

It's funny but as I'm having way too much fun in WAR today, I can't help but think that all the activities I imagined I would be engaging in AoC I have actually done already in WAR minus the epic boss raids. And I didn't have to wait until they got around to putting it in or even fixing it in the first place. The stuff just works and it works rather well. Stuff we take for granted in WAR like an auction house, crafting, siege engines, a PVP ranking system and rewards, even stats that make sense. It's been in WAR since the beginning and it's worked as advertised. Granted, some polish can sure be applied but, regardless, something is always better than nothing.

You can't always get what you want. But, if you try sometimes, you get what you need.*

*with apologies to The Rolling Stones

No comments:

Post a Comment